About LC Soil & Water Conservation District
History of LCSWCD:
The Lewis County Soil and Water Conservation District was established on January 8, 1946. The first District Board Members were George Higby, a Grange Representative; Joseph Martin, a member at large; Richard Rohr, from the Farm Bureau, and from the Board of Supervisors, Miller Staring and Clinton Farney. Initially, the District's purpose was to improve and increase the amount of land in agricultural production. Over time, the District changed its focus to an emphasis on drainage and water management. It wasn't until 1977 that the first District Technician was hired.
As the District has grown, its programs and services have as well. We now offer a variety of services including Annual Programs and Educational Events. Although each of the 58 Soil and Water Conservation Districts in New York State are slightly tailored to their own County’s needs, we all work diligently to implement the NYS Soil and Water Conservation Committee’s Mission Statement.
"The mission of the New York State Soil and Water Conservation Committee is to develop and oversee implementation of an effective soil and water conservation and agricultural nonpoint source water quality program for the State of New York that is implemented primarily through County Soil and Water Conservation Districts."